Wednesday, December 6, 2023

It’s Christmas Time Again

 Hello my Peoples,

This is Frugal Frank on the Blackside, back in black just in time for Christmas. Every year, I tell myself that I am going to blog more but then it’s Christmas again. Santa has delivered me a Dow above 36000 this December and you bet I am going to be watching it like a mother to catch a downturn. If it starts nosediving again, this brother may have to park his funds in a Money Market Fund for a bit. I got my ass burnt with some Alibaba but lucky me I balanced it with some Berkshire Hathaway B shares. I am selling that Alibaba this week, taking the hit because it ain’t coming back. Like Aretha says”Ain’t no Way”. I should have bought more Amazon.

Can I tell you people that my 2006 Volvo XC70 is finally giving out. That damn transmission and auto shops want $5000 to replace it, but the engine still purrs like a kitten. Looks like I will be calling, “1877Cars for Kids” Hell, what am I complaining about? I bought the car 11 years ago for 10 grand and have over 300,000 miles on it and that tank protected my kids to and from golf tournaments, swim meets, tennis meets, music lessons and family trips through rain, sleet and snow. I can’t decide on the next vehicle though. Should it be another Volvo or Subaru or just go for a Hybrid.

I hope everyone is getting ready for the Holidays. Me? I start playing Christmas music November 1st. This should be a good Christmas to those of you who listened to me years ago and bought homes with interest rates in the 3% range. I haven’t seen rates this high since 1989, yep during those Reagan and Bush years rates were like 10 and 11 percent. I purchased my first home in 1990 and my rate was 10.75 but that damn Clinton brought those rates down. So young people, what do you do? You still purchase a home, just a smaller one because rates will eventually come down and your salaries will go up. Listen to me, homeowners never have trouble getting people to loan them money. I just wish loan advertisers would stop sending me shit. A friend once reminded me that they are not making any more land so get you a home or some land. Now Older folks, our portfolios should look nice, if you did like I did and stayed in stocks and weathered the storm and didn’t purchase those dumbass annuities sold to you by your Financial Advisor (see my previous posts). 

Can I digress a bit?

 I love my white neighbors both North and South. They keep the neighborhood clean and quiet and safe and will often bring over some baked goods. For my people still living in the house you own in the hood, but hearing gun shots and seeing the neighborhood go down. It ain’t coming back, sell that damn house and get out. We need to stop making starter homes permanent homes. When you can do better, you ought to do better.

After visiting the Vineyard this summer and reading Sunny Hostin’s “Summer on the Bluffs”, I discovered Pamela Thompson-Graham’s 3 book series about murder at the Ivies. Not only can this sister write, but her resume is impressive. I would add her collection to your Christmas list. To Pamela, I am sorry for your loss and I know you are busy with your career but can you at least finish the Ivy series and get your heroine to kick Dante to the curb and get a real brother like you did😉. I still miss E.Lynn Harris’s writing. “And This Too Shall Pass” and “If This World Were Mine” are my holiday favorites. He left us too soon. 

Well, it is getting past my bedtime, but my next post will be about my thoughts on Retirement(rethinking it)

Peace out,

Frugal Frank OTBS


No comments: